ropeways.net | Home | 2017-12-05
CSIA Apprentice Instructor Program – Partnering with Canadian Snow Schools
In response to feedback from snow schools, a new option for instructor training will be available this season. The CSIA Apprentice Instructor Program, dedicated to any competent parallel skier that wants to become an instructor, provides a new option for the training and certification of entry-level instructors. It combines CSIA content with in-house snow school training and apprenticeship. It includes the basics of practical ski teaching methodology, technical understanding, development of guest service skills, as well as teaching children. In addition, the student will learn the importance of the ski instructor role within to the ski industry. Snow schools providing the training can adapt part of the content and delivery to their own operational context.
This curriculum merges 12 hours of CSIA Level 1 content with 12 hours of snow school training and/or apprenticeship. Participants who complete the Apprentice Instructor Program are eligible for a one-day exam to become certified as a CSIA Level 1. This eligibility expires 2 full seasons after completion of apprenticeship. Snow schools who wish to participate in the delivery of the program must register through their Level 1 Regional Coordinator.
The snow schools who participate in the Apprentice Instructor Program will greatly benefit from:
- In-house training with the potential of reducing cost and increasing accessibility for participants
- Workplace ready instructors, with training adapted to each snow school
- Local recruitment to meet staffing demands
- Continual development for instructors and trainers alike
- A pool of potential new instructors, therefore creating a succession within their snow school