Gore receives national recognition for safety
The New York Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) proudly announces that Gore Mountain has been recognized by the National Ski Areas Association for the 2022 Best Overall Safety Program. Presented at the NSAA National Convention in Nashville, TN, on May 14, 2022, the award recognizes the industry’s best, most innovative work to maintain the safety of guests and employees. This is Gore Mountain’s third national safety award over a five-year span: Guest Safety in 2018, Overall Safety in 2020, and this year’s award.
“To be recognized for Gore’s commitment to safety is an honor,” states Gore Mountain General Manager James Bayse. “We could be recognized for many things, but this one we appreciate the most because it demonstrates our respect and care for skiers and riders, and it’s a key part of our creating a great on-mountain experience for everyone.”
Safety is an ongoing focus at Gore Mountain, with consistent and highly visible messaging. These initiatives include:
- Prevalent displays of the skiers’ and riders’ seven-point responsibility code developed by NSAA
- “Know the Zone” videos and displays remind all skiers and riders that giving others 15 feet of space on all sides is fundamental to avoiding collisions
- Blindspot awareness campaign boosts awareness and respect for snowboarders’ different angles of view
- Smart Style/Park SMART program emphasizes safety etiquette for terrain parks
- “Our team works year-round to keep safety at the forefront,” states Gore Mountain Health and Safety Supervisor Mark Roberts. “The work includes regular safety reminders in snow reports, videos and slides in the Base Lodge, printed material and signage, safety education in the mountain’s regular podcasts, frequent social media posts, and even a safety booth.”
- Gore Mountain’s innovation directly reflects ORDA’s comprehensive commitment to safety across its venues. Cindy Dady, known across the ski industry as “Safety Cindy,” joined the ORDA team as Risk Manager in 2019, bringing decades of ski resort experience. Today, she oversees safety and risk management operations across all ORDA facilities. Since working with ORDA, Dady was awarded the 2020 NSAA Safety Champion and the Excellence in Risk Management Award from the Public Employee Risk Management Association.